Shared vs static link performance hit --and Windows?

Daniel Dittmar daniel at dittmar.net
Wed Jul 9 18:10:21 EDT 2003

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou wrote:
> I might say something stupid since I am not an "expert" on Windows
> architectures, but would it be feasible (and useful) to build a static
> python.exe on windows?  Or is it that there would be no difference
> performance-wise in the final interpreter?

On windows, DLLs (and .pyd) can only call function in other DLLs, not in
the EXE they are called from. So building a statically linked python
would make it impossible to load dynamically .pyd files.

OT: One could of course change the Python extending API so that every
extension function gets a pointer to the interpreter instances and all
API functions are members of the interpreter object. This adds an
additional indirection, so it wouldn't help the performace. On the plus
side, this would make it at least feasable that extenions are binary
compatible to newer Pythons the same way they often are on Unix.

Daniel