filter is Python

Brian Kelley bkelley at wi.mit.edu
Wed Jul 30 11:16:35 EDT 2003

Wiebke Pätzold wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I have to work with MetaKit. My job is it to filter. For example: If I
> search for the initial letter "P", the programm should all results
> print with this characteristic.
> Couls somebody help me with this task?
>
> Wiebke

The metakit list is probably the place for this.  See equi4.com for
instructions.  That being said:

I assume you are filtering a table/view looking at some column.  Let's
say the table is "foo" and the column is "bar".

def myfilter(row):
     return row.bar[0] == "P"

# return the matching indices
indices = view.filter(myfilter)
# return a new view with only the matching rows
newview = view.remapwith(indices)

Here is a full example:
import metakit

storage = metakit.storage()
vw = storage.getas("test[bar:S]")

data = """My dog has fleas but he is a very good Pooch.
           Sometimes he likes to Play""".split()

for d in data:
     vw.append((d,))

def myfilter(row):