How to stop screensaver from starting up

Jeff Epler jepler at
Mon Jul 28 22:22:29 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 07:14:44AM -0700, klappnase wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> does anyone know a way to stop the screensaver under linux from
> starting up while a certain process is running?
> I need this because I experience a memory leak while recording
> wav-files every time the screensaver starts.
> It is a Tkinter application, btw.
> Any help would be very appreciated.

For systems using xscreensaver, see xscreensaver-command(1).

You could use
    xscreensaver-command -throttle
to force screen blanking (not screensaver) when the system is idle
    xscreensaver-command -exit
to force the screensaver process to exit.  In the former case, you would
    xscreensaver-command -unthrottle
to restart the screensaver, and in the latter case
    xscreensaver -nosplash
in the latter.

This is not robust if multiple processes all try to manipulate the
screensaver without some additional kind of locking.