Replacing rexec

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Jul 17 09:27:52 EDT 2003

jjl at pobox.com (John J. Lee) writes:

> Isn't it true that the only solution to a program taking up too much
> of a system's resources is to cap its resource usage, or stop it
> running?  Usually, it's the OSs job to do that (which you might view
> as almost the definition of an OS, perhaps) -- is that a bad thing?

I wouldn't say so, and in some circumstances you can use the OS to
limit the other sorts of damage a rogue script can do (chroot(),
jail(), whatever).  If I had to worry about these sorts of things
(which I don't), this would probably be the first place I'd look.

Cheers,
M.

--
  ... when all the programmes on all the channels actually were made
  by actors with cleft pallettes speaking lines by dyslexic writers