Why Python

Gilles Lenfant glenfant at NOSPAM.bigfoot.com
Wed Jul 9 06:52:12 EDT 2003

"Tony Steward" <tsteward at dodo.com.au> a écrit dans le message de news:
3f0be9ac at news.comindico.com.au...
> Hello All,
> I am looking for a programming language to use to write a database type
> application to run on windows machines. Is python for me or pls suggest
what
> is.

Search (google) for mxODBC. it's a commercial package (free for personal
use) that enables to play with any database that provides an ODBC driver
(Oracle, MySQL, MS Access, MS SQL*Server, Sybase...)

> Is there a page that explains in simple terms what Python can do on
windows?
> Is there an IDE?

Many 3rd party IDEs are available, free and commercial ones.
The standard Python distro comes with IDLE.

> Is the windows api pre wrapped?

Not in the standard distro, but you can add win32all (google again) that
wraps most of the win32 native API. Plus a nice  IDE.
If you don't want mxODBC, win32all comes with an ODBC module. But it's not
as rich as mxODBC.

> Thanks

Welcome

--Gilles