How about using python to write a CMS?

David McNab postmaster at 127.0.0.1
Wed Jul 16 09:33:44 EDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:21:38 +0800, À±°Ç¦ò paused, took a deep
breath, then came out with:

> To write a CMS, everyone is thinking about PHP, but, what do you think if I
> am using python to write a Content Management System?

If you want to minimise damage to your sanity, don't touch PHP with a
barge-pole. It's a nice easy language to learn, but once your code grows,
the built-in irritations of PHP will likely cause you much pain.

IMO, Python is the natural choice for most software when writing from
scratch. Deficiencies in performance are easily corrected via C layers at
the bottom-end.

Given the glut of PHP-based CMSs and the paucity of those in Python, I
think you'd be doing a great thing to build yours in Python.

Please think carefully about the environment you choose.

Twisted or Zope may feel godo to use, but will lock out a lot of users who
only have access to Apache-based hosts.

mod_python is another option, but not often available in commercial Apache
environments.

CGI is available on most web hosts, but suffers performance issues.

Lastly (forgive me those who are sick of me saying this), many web hosts
only offer Python 1.5.2, with no MySQL interface library. So you might
want to look at another database engine which can be installed without
requiring root access to the server.

Cheers
David