AIX + GCC 2.95.3 - Python (2.1 or 2.2) - building the shared library (.so) for python - HOW TO?!?

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jul 5 04:04:21 EDT 2003

hab <hab at polbox.com> writes:

> (If I use standard -shared linking, during the _import python is crashing.)
> As seen in in AIX-NOTES there should be used ld_so_aix. But I suspect
> that it was prepared for standard xlC (CC) compiler. How to make it
> running for GCC compiler?

Nobody knows anything about AIX in the Python world. You have to make
it work yourself.

> 1. Why is such nonuderstandable-ultimate-tricky solution prepared for AIX?

There are two possible reasons:
1. AIX is such a strange system that you need to play dirty tricks to
   make it load modules dynamically.
2. Whoever ported shared loading to AIX didn't know anything about the
   system, and tried random things until he got a working solution.

I don't know which one it is, but I'm leaning towards 1)

> 2. Does it work only for xlC (CC) or also for GCC? If, how to do it?

Nobody knows.

> 3. What is the entry point function? How I can find it in the sources?

You mean, of python itself? It's main(), and it is defined in
Modules/python.c.

Regards,
Martin