anything like C++ references?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Jul 15 10:41:52 EDT 2003

In article <3F13ADDD.57BF2969 at alcyone.com>,
Erik Max Francis  <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

>The value is the object.  The object is the value.

Actually, that's not quite true, and it's something I've been wrestling
with how to describe.  What's the value of a file object?  I think in a
very real sense, a file object doesn't have a "value".  You could try
arguing that the file contents are the value, but that value is not
contained within the object -- the object is a proxy.  Saying that the
filename is the value doesn't work, either, especially when you want to
talk generically about file-like objects (such as StringIO and sockets).

"Not everything in life has a clue in front of it...."  --JMS