python mode problem in emacs

David Robinow drobinow at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 22:55:25 EDT 2003

pygeek <member32992 at dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<3097083.1057868749 at dbforums.com>...
> I went on to look for the file '.emacs' or 'emacs.el' to include a
> few lines of
> command so that emacs would load python-mode.
> I looked through and searched my hard drive, and there wasn't
> such a file
> by the name '.emacs' or 'emacs.el'. What's going on here? Where are
> the files?
 This is really a question for comp.emacs, but here goes:
1) .emacs is not distributed with emacs. You have to create it.
2) You may find the Windows Emacs FAQ useful. See
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html
3) emacs looks for ~/.emacs.  The "~" refers to your home directory
which should be pointed to by the HOME environment variable. You need
to create this yourself.  If it does not exist emacs will look in the
root of the C: drive.