Py + CGI or other ?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Jul 3 04:21:11 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 02:35, Krisztian Kepes wrote:
> A question:
> - how to I make the change ?
> So, I  take an interest in Python+Web. Where I starting this learning ?

Well, there's many options you have when using Python for web
programming.  Look at:
  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/WebProgramming

> 1.
>  I use php used in module, not in cgi ?
>  The python can load to apache in module ?

Yes, there is a mod_python (modpython.org).  There are also several
frameworks built ontop of that, and several frameworks that don't embed
themselves in Apache, but offer similar advantages over CGI.

> 2.
>  Or I must create an CGI library ?

But... on many commercial hosts CGI is the only support option you'll
have for using Python.  If you don't want to use CGI, you'll have to
specifically look for a host that supports Python:
  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonHosting

> 3.
>  The BaseHTTPServer is good for starting an cgi development ?

No, it's a novelty, and maybe useful for applications where you want an
embedded HTTP server.

> 4.
>  Can the python handle the session of web browsers ?

Most of the web frameworks handle sessions.

> 5.
>  Can the python access other db servers (not mysql) ?

Yes, there are drivers for using Python with most common databases.

  Ian