Business model for Open Source - advice wanted

Terence Way terry at wayforward.net
Thu Jul 10 11:16:27 EDT 2003

Two companies that make money spring to mind:
1. sleepycat software (they support Berkeley DB); and
2. the MySQL folks (they support, um, MySQL)

They have different licenses, MySQL being dual licensed:
GPL and proprietary, while sleepycat is custom and
OSI-compatible.

My understanding is that they both make good money.

 --

I think you're right on target that accounting systems
need customization... and you'll make money customizing

 --

Don't worry about people reneging on support contracts.
Companies get large enough, investors/directors will

 --

If your product is good enough, *I* may be one of those
consultants that uses your software, gets the support

 --

Consider the target company size.  Given the $50-$100
support range, I'm thinking small companies < 10 people.

That is all.  Hope this helps.