IMAP examples

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Jul 18 19:12:20 EDT 2003

"James T. Dennis" wrote:

> Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shalehperry at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >> If my english was better I would love to help improve the python
> >> documentation, most modules in the standard libraries lack good
> >> examples how to *use* them with just a simple description.  And a
> >> short motivation for the design of a module if possible like "just
> >> copied the C API" or "Because of efficiency ..." or "We use a class
> >> framework here because ...".  A gigantic task.  The PSL book by effbot
> >> is great but it's a book.  And it needs a new version.
>
> > part of the reason why the docs are not but so great is that most of the
> > library is Python code which means any questions can be answered by reading
> > the source.  I find myself doing this quite often.
>
>  <flame>That's BS!</flame>
>
>  As a dabbler in programming I have to say that poor documentation is not
>  excused by the availability of sources.

True, but poor documentation *is* excused quite nicely by the LACK
of availability of _re_sources, specifically the human resources and time
required to make them better.

Or was your flame an indirect offer to assist with improving the
documentation of Python?  If so, thank you!

(It's not like you've paid anything for the privilege of whining...)

-Peter