Why Python

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Wed Jul 9 06:50:51 EDT 2003

Tony Steward wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am looking for a programming language to use to write a database type
> application to run on windows machines. Is python for me or pls suggest what
> is.

Python is excellent for database work.

> Is there a page that explains in simple terms what Python can do on windows?

No single page, but with the win32 extensions, Python can access
Windows-specific stuff like COM and the win32 API just fine.

> Is there an IDE?

There are, but if you're into thin GUI clients like VB6, there is no
direct equivalent. It's a lot more common to create GUIs from code
without form designers under Python.

> Is the windows api pre wrapped?

Sure. Part of the win32 extensions.
http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/

Alternatively, you can use the Python distribution from ActiveState
which contains win32all already, plus some additional goodies like a
package management system and Python docs in Windows Help format.

-- Gerhard