anything like C++ references?

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 10:59:44 EDT 2003

Adam Ruth <owski at hotmail.com> wrote in news:20030716081550053-
0600 at news.xmission.com:

>> Initialisation uses '=', assignment uses ':='. Note that the constant
>> is  defined as a real and initialised with one, but the variable is a
>> reference  to a real and initialised with a storage location. The last
>> example is not  initialising x with the value, it is implicitly
>> initialising x with a  location then assigning the value into that
>> location.
>>

> That's interesting.  What does it use for an equality operator?

Tricky question that. It uses the equals symbol which might, or might not
be spelled '=' or 'EQ'.

Sorry, my pedantry is trying to get the better of me. Algol68 defines its
syntax in terms of the tokens that it accepts, it doesn't really force you
to spell its tokens any particular way. The language definition uses bold
face for symbols such as 'real', and the implementation might choose to
recognise REAL, .real., 'real, or some special [real] symbol in your
character set. Case stropping, which I think was commonest, uses upper
case. The language is quite clear on this giving as an example that various
typefaces of begin could be used to represent the begin symbol including a
combination of hole on a punch card.

In particular, although the symbol used for equality testing in the
language definition looks like =, the other operators look more like the
appropriate mathematical symbols than, say, <=, and the implementation may
decide how the symbols are to be represented.

See http://www.fh-jena.de/~kleine/history/languages/Algol68-
RevisedReport.pdf