Distutils gcc error

Brian Victor bhv1 at psu.edu
Mon Jul 14 02:36:39 CEST 2003

I am attempting to distribute my wxPython program with the aid of
distutils.  I have one C++ module that needs to built on the user's
machine.  When I run "./setup.py build", the following appears on the

gcc -DNDEBUG -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-fno-strict-aliasing -fPIC -Isrc -I/usr/include/python2.2 -c src/bwaa.cc
-o build/temp.linux-ppc-2.2/bwaa.o -I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk-2.4
/usr/local/include/wx/setup.h:15: #error No __WXxxx__ define set! Please
define one of

That error message is consistent with failure to define __WXGTK__.
However, that macro is clearly defined on the command line, and copying
and pasting that line into the terminal causes the build to succeed.
Why would that be?

This is how I have the extention defined in my setup.py file:

wxlibs = commands.getoutput("wx-config --libs")
wxcxxflags = commands.getoutput("wx-config --cxxflags")

bwaaext = Extension("bwaascalec", ["src/bwaa.cc", "src/bwaascale.cc"],

If anyone can point me to a fix, I would appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!