anything like C++ references?

Erik Max Francis max at
Tue Jul 15 03:07:57 CEST 2003

Stephen Horne wrote:

> 99 out of 100 times, true. But not always - especially in discrete
> maths.
> For example, if I write...
>   [forall] x . f(x) = y
> It's hard to interpret that '=' as an assertion. Similar applies to a
> range of maths operators.

How is that not an assertion, anymore than

	[exists] x [~ (x = y)]

	s = (1/2) a t^2

I don't mean this as an insult, but it seems to me that much of your
comments on Python in these threads come down to, "The way this works is
not something I would have given this name to."  While that's completely
legitimate, it's hard to see it as very compelling, since your
distinctions seem to me to be fairly arbitrary (x = y is assertion but
ALL x [f(x) = y] isn't?).

   Erik Max Francis && max at &&
/  \ Does the true light / Of love come in flashes
\__/  Sandra St. Victor