Python is a gem, you need to keep pushing it ....

Graeme Matthew gsmatthew at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jul 3 08:24:27 EDT 2003

Hi all, I just wanted to tell someone :-)

I was previously a perl programmer and have been a visual basic frustrated
developer for a number of years, only for the reason that corporates are so
obsessed with using proprietary marketing focused computer languages and not
using true computer science oriented solutions written by computer science
engineers and not a marketing panel. The amount of frustration I have
experienced using visual basic is unbelievable and most of these programs
could have been easily written in python and solved in half the time. I
looked at ruby, it is a beautiful language too but there are still too many
scarce libraries compared to python. Perl, I still like perl but its syntax
requires a photographic memory when coming back to some old code.

I have now taken on a large project outside of work for another company,
initially they, yes wait for it, wanted a VB client / server solution. It
took me lot of hard motivation and they have now totally changed their
focus, a web based python solution it now is ! who said one cannot market
linux, python and mysql ? I hope to have the project completed in 6 months
and I am looking forward to adding it to one of python's success stories.

So the whole point of this email is that if a lot of you are hitting the
same frustration as myself where managers (and people who think Microsoft
invented everything well except a watch you need to recharge every 2 days
:-)  keep on insisting on developing in the basket case Microsoft Languages
such as VB (I am not mentioning C or C++ as it does not fall into this
bracket)  then dont give up, keep up the evangelism, as someday they will
give in .... and let you prove it too them

Cheers