Fast CGI Vs Java Application Servers

Charlton Wilbur cwilbur at mithril.chromatico.net
Tue Jul 1 08:44:30 EDT 2003

paul at boddie.net (Paul Boddie) writes:

> ctcgag at hotmail.com wrote in message
> news:<20030630120924.209$qh at newsreader.com>...

> > Switching a working application to a new language is about the
> > greatest possible crime there is against code reuse.
>
> "We believe in code reuse. Apart from the system we just threw away,
> of course."

It's also possible that the old application just barely works, and
that it will take more work to bolt new things onto the side of it
than to rewrite it from scratch.  If we're talking about a 15-year-old
C application that had a web interface bolted onto it a few years
back and which has been undergoing continual change and occasional
expansion, I could certainly see a case for rewriting the whole mess.

Charlton