properties + types, implementing meta-class desciptors elegantly?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at
Sat Jul 19 13:47:03 CEST 2003

Bengt Richter wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:48:44 -0400, "Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch at> wrote:

>Not sure exactly what you are doing, but what does
>     object.__setattr__(client,, value)
>do in your context in place of
>     client.__dict__[ ] = value
__setattr__ invokes the entire tree of setattr machinery, *including*
descriptor interception, so it just creates an infinite loop when used
in descriptors.  What I'm looking for is a (set of)
method(s)/function(s) for use when constructing descriptors which allow
for simply setting the value without going through the new setattr
machinery.  In effect, a function which knows how to do the equivalent
of "client.__dict__[ name ] = value" for all built-in objects (objects,
classes, __slot__ holding instance, etceteras).

Hooks into which to hook is my goal, really.  A lower-level API for
doing what's normally done once you're done pre-processing the
setting/getting/deleting "event".

Have fun,

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder