Threading Pool Event()

Graeme Matthew gsmatthew at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jul 18 08:10:31 EDT 2003

Hi all

I just cannot seem to find any documentation that shows an example of using
the factory method Event() in threads. I have a thread pool and if there are
no jobs in a Queue I want them to wait for something to be inserted. When a
job is inserted I want to send an Event, the first thread that picks it up
runs with the job the rest wait for another insert Event.

I have been looking at some C, c++ implementations and some use a continious
loop within a thread that polls the queue then if one is found pops it from
the queue and runs with it.

Problem when threads are dormant is it not better having the main thread
(i.e process) sending a signal rather than 10 threads polling surely this is
cpu intensive ??

any helps or references on Event() is much appreciated

many thanks

Graeme