new to python - looking for a good book

Van Gale news at exultants.org
Tue Jul 1 11:05:38 CEST 2003

Peter Ballard wrote:
> Why should I buy any of these books when I've got the (free) official
> Python documentation downloaded, and always just a click or two away?

Well speaking for myself, I like to read different viewpoints and learn
insights that different authors are able to express.  The official docs
are great, but are purely reference.  The Nutshell book goes beyond
simple reference and provides some great insights and covers some areas
outside of stock python (like DBAPI 2.0).  Lundh's "Python Standard
Library" goes beyond the official library docs by providing useful
example code for most library modules.

Van