The "intellectual property" misnomer

Raymond Hettinger vze4rx4y at verizon.net
Sat Jul 12 00:29:04 EDT 2003

> >> If the PSF holds the copyright to Python, please say that.
> >> If the PSF holds patents which cover Python, please say that.
> >> If the PSF owns the trademark for Python, please say that.
> >> If the PSF has trade secrets in Python, please say that.
> >
> > So you somehow managed to divine Guido's intent from that "ridiculous,
> > meaningless term"
>
> No, I requested that the term be clarified, because *I don't* know what
> is meant by "The PSF holds the intellectual property rights for Python".
> It's a meaningless statement as it stands.

PSF is the copyright holder and issuer of the python license to the
code covered by that copyright.  Type license() at the command
prompt to see the elaboration using terms that *do* have meaning
to the legal types who helped craft and vette the wording.

In layman's terms, it means exactly what Guido said.

Hope this helps,

Raymond Hettinger