How to properly package/distribute a pure python module?

Matt Shomphe MatthewS at
Mon Jul 28 20:45:18 CEST 2003

Are there any guidelines for packaging a pure python module?
Specifically, say I have a set of 10 functions, all of varying
behaviors (no unifying theme to bind them together into clear
subsets), that I would like to make available to others.  What is the
best structure for the distributed module?  A single file called
"" that people can put in "site-packages"[1]?  A
subdirectory called "MyFunctions" with an "" and the
"" files[2]?  Or should the functions be broken out into
individual files[3]?

I'm sure it depends on some other factorsbut are there general rules
for constructing a nice, logical package for others to use?

[1] site-packages/ (from functions import f1)
[2] site-packages/MyFunctions/, (from
MyFunctions.functions import f1)
[3] site-packages/MyFunctions/,,, (from
MyFunctions.f1 import f1)