ODBC to Oracle (data source name not found)

Michael J. Moore michaeljmoore at comcast.net
Mon Jul 21 06:23:28 CEST 2003

I have set up an ODBC connection to an oracle database named MIKE on my
local machine. I have tested this ODBC connection using EXCEL and it works
fine. The same data source results in ...
Python 2.2.3 (#42, May 30 2003, 18:12:08) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import dbi
>>> import odbc
>>> d=odbc.odbc('mike/mike/guess')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
dbi.operation-error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not
 and no default driver specified in LOGIN

What am I not doing correctly?
TIA Mike