Python vs PHP

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Thu Jul 10 07:15:27 EDT 2003

Afanasiy <abelikov72 at hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<euiogvgmafgaeedg6errde1oaipr8nqpmm at 4ax.com>...

> It would be nice to have a Python equivalent. Unfortunately, for now I
> need to just get started on some things myself rather than convince a
> bunch of other people to do the same. I suppose this could be the best
> way to show so many of the factors I've been listing for months which
> are apparently invisible. I'm sure people agree with me, but they do
> not participate in Usenet, and are very busy being important.

Important or not, the reason for your problems not being addressed is
clearly that most associated with certain open source development
processes: if the developers don't have the same needs as you have,
and if they don't have any incentive to meet those needs, then they
won't do the work if they have other things to be getting on with. I
seem to remember that you wanted support for per-user isolation within
Apache, for example, and I can only imagine that those people
developing Web frameworks just don't have the same hosting limitations
as you have; therefore, the need remains unsatisfied.

> I can also imagine any sort of attempt at comparison, like a benchmark,
> or the infamous language shootout, would be absolutely ridiculed.

You mean like the "Web Framework Shootout"?

  http://colorstudy.com/docs/shootout.html

Or do you share the views of certain other people on this?

  http://twistedmatrix.com/users/radix/musings-on-twisted/msg00000.html

    (Some interesting views on Woven, but a lot of seemingly
     elitist framework bashing, too.)

> I personally consider them fairly useful, but most do not and I am
> wary of spending so much time on something which would eventually, or
> perhaps not so eventually, devolve into personal attacks.

There are and were lots of different comparison charts, documents and
resources. Perhaps you could use those as a starting point - I know I
wouldn't mind if you adapted my old documents on the subject, and I
can imagine that people would welcome contributions to the PythonInfo
Wiki as well.

Paul