[OT] sentances with two meanings

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jul 15 17:30:15 EDT 2003

"John J. Lee" wrote:

> bhahn at spam-spam.g0-away.com (Brendan Hahn) writes:
>
> > duncan at rcp.co.uk wrote:
> > >"Colin S. Miller" <colinsm.spam-me-not at picsel.com> wrote:
> > >To "take someone in" means to trick or deceive them.
> >
> > "take in" can also mean to observe.
>
> But "take someone in" never means that.  It really is a wonder that we
> manage to communicate this way...

Never say never.  I could picture a writer better than I, carefully
crafting a sentence in a book involving a very, very large women (or
man, let's not be sexist here), saying something to the effect of
"She was so large, I couldn't take her all in."

But you're write (sic) about it being hard to communicate sometimes.

(Did I mean "sometimes you're right", or did I mean "sometimes it's
hard to communicate"? ;-)

-Peter