A challenge to the ASCII proponents.

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au
Mon Jul 21 05:15:46 EDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:20:48 +1200, Mark Hadfield wrote:
> I hope you won't think if I'm a spoilsport in pointing out that it
> fails the "everybody" test, as many people use proportional fonts in
> their news readers.

*All* solutions fail the "everybody" test.  Newsreaders use the NNTP
protocol, which (IIRC) only requires 7-bit ASCII.  (Regardless, most
newsreaders only expect 7-bit ASCII, and sometimes implement 8-bit in
inconsistent ways).

"International characters" and "everybody" are, at present, incompatible
criteria.

--
 \         "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur."  ("Whatever is |
  `\                   said in Latin, sounds profound.")  -- Anonymous |