Python scripting with Paint Shop Pro 8.0

Rune Braathen runeb at [remove].eyeone.com
Mon Jul 21 12:34:10 EDT 2003

Marc Wilson wrote:
> It's a start- actually, we want to convert the file to JPEG (if not
> already), sharpen it, fix the size and also derive a thumbnail from it.

I don't know whether that is doable with the python scripting in
PaintShop Pro as I haven't got round to upgrading yet, but I do know
that Python+PIL can do that in very few lines of work. With some
tweaking, you can use py2exe to make your script into an executable,
thereby removing the need for every user to install python.

( ... )

> While I'm sure Python is a lovely language, the choice is due to PSP using
> the scripting engine: if I have to write something from scratch (or even
> from bits'n'bobs), I'll use a language I already know.

That's a very sound argument. However, if you are planning on doing any
image processing in the future, you will never regret the time spent
learning Python and PIL. In fact, it is a fairly good possibility that
you would look back and wonder how you ever survived without it.

--
runeb