Any views on YAML?

valued customer scooterm at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 1 22:06:33 EDT 2003

Views On YAML:
    Benefits:
       - YAML is much better than XML if 'human readability' is truly
a top priority for your particular application.
       - YAML can pass the 'grandma' test (so simple, your grandmother
can understand it without having to know 'techie' stuff).
       - I use YAML for persisting metadata of all sorts. It is easy
to generate template-based transformations of YAML (just like one
would do with XML plus [*YUK*] XSLT). For this category, I use YAML
plus TemplateToolkit.
    Hassles:
       - It is not as popular as XML and therefore may be unfairly
disregarded or shunned by those who require buzzword compliance.
       - It is relatively new and has some of the standard newness
annoyances (no built-in support in development tools, inconsistencies
and quirks, sparse interest).