Python vs. Perl vs. PHP?

Fazer faizan at jaredweb.com
Mon Jul 28 21:42:24 EDT 2003

"Diez B. Roggisch" <deets_noospaam at web.de> wrote in message news:<bg3qkk$lmr$05$1 at news.t-online.com>...
> Fazer wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am an avid user of PHP and I am just fooling around with Python for
> > now.  I originally wanted to know which one is faster.  As in, works
> > faster.  So far, I think PHP is the fastest for dynamic web-content.
> > Am I wrong?
>
> Definitely. See here:
>
> http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/craps.shtml
>
> Python is place 13, with a speed index of 578. PHP is second last (before
> bash) and has a speed index of 197.
>
> Besides that, PHP is a really ugly language - not only to the eye (which is
> admittedly a matter of taste), but a friend of mine currently implements a
> PHP->C-Compiler had delved deep into the language implementation - and it
> _is_ ugly.
>
> I expirienced mayor flaws in PHP 4.0.x, where my declared functions in a
> 6000 line include vanished from time to time - repeating the request
> sometimes solved the problem. That was really nasty.
>
> Regards,
>
> Diez

Wow, thanks for link!  I will use it as hard proof to lure some of my
friends in using Python! ;-)

This is a little off-topic, but I wish to know how would you turn a
string (or data from a text-file) into an array?  For example, maybe
turn each \n into an array.

So a string like:

"This is line 1
This is line 2
This is line 3"

And so when you read that into a list called text text[0] would the
"This is line 1".

Thank you once again.