[OT] sentances with two meanings

JanC usenet_spam at janc.invalid
Wed Jul 16 21:35:02 EDT 2003

mis6 at pitt.edu (Michele Simionato) schreef:

> It comes at least from the Latin version and I would not be surprised
> if the double sense of "known" was in the Greek version too (any Greek
> here?).

I'm not Greek, but I still have a ancient Greek dictionary from school. :-)

The verb "gignooskoo" (trying to write it with Latin letters ;) does indeed
have the same "double" meaning in ancient Greek.  (Of course this is not
really a "double" meaning, if you think about it.)

In Dutch the normal translation of "to know" is "kennen" or "weten", the
sexual meaning is translated as "bekennen" (but, just like in English, it
is not really common in contemporary Dutch).  Interesting is that
"bekennen" also has another meaning in Dutch: "to profess", "to confess"...

> Now, Latin had to verbs for "to know": "scire" and "cognoscere".

And "cognovisse".  (I still have a latin dictionary too... :)

--
JanC