Rudeness with names (was Re: interpreted)

Michele Simionato mis6 at pitt.edu
Tue Jun 10 13:12:42 EDT 2003

Gerhard Häring <gh at ghaering.de> wrote in message news:<mailman.1055255001.19136.python-list at python.org>...
> Aahz wrote:
> > Gerhard Häring wrote:
> >> [Aahz didn't like me calling anonymous posters "anonymous cowards"]
> >>I too feel offended by:
> >>
> >>- anonymous posters
> >>- top-posting
> >>- broken quoting
> >>
> >>In one word: carelessness.
> >>
> >>Occasionally I will make originators aware of this. If you can't live
> >>with this, feel free to killfile me.
> >
> > That's fine, and you may recall that I've made comments about top-posting
> > and broken quoting in the past.  But one needn't be rude and insulting
> > when doing so, particularly in the first response to any given person --
> > that's not a "nudge".  A better response would be something like,
> > "Should I call you 'Ifman1'?"
>
> Ok, good point. Thanks for the constructive criticism.
>
> -- Gerhard

I have seen Gerhard using "anonymous cowards" before and liked
the joke. I didn't imagine it could be taken seriously as an offence.
Especially since he was helpful with the posters. Actually, I was tempted
to use the expression myself but at this point I don't think it would be
a good idea. Anyway, I can always use "Should I call you 'Ifman1'?" ;-)

                              Michele

                                       Michele