Changing python process name (or argv[0])

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Wed Jun 4 11:04:46 EDT 2003

Mike writes:
> I think the functionality is desirable for some
> (at least on Unix python), and this simple trick hardly warrants an extra
> module if it is indeed acceptable in the python world.

Mike, you have it exactly backwards. This simple trick hardly
warrents inclusion in core Python when it can be implemented
by an extra module. The fact that it _is_ a simple trick is
a good reason to keep it as a module. The fact that it might
not be portable to all operating systems is another good
reason. Don't be afraid to use modules... that's what they're
for!

-- Michael Chermside