Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jun 21 22:57:40 CEST 2003

Lee Harr <missive at frontiernet.net> writes:

> How about email?

Right. Or, uncertain: I would not consider a MIME message 7-bit plain
text ASCII. Indeed, I would not consider an RFC 822 message plain text
at all - the body might be plain text, but then, the body of an HTML
file might also be be 'plain', in the sense it does not refer to

But your observation is right in principle: to really understand what
the "most common text format in history" is, and to allow "7-bit plain
text ASCII" as a candidate, one would need to specify, in more detail,
what exactly that is.