Defensive programming

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Sun Jun 1 22:56:21 EDT 2003

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote previously:
|I think there's something to be said for using collision resistant
|hashes whenever any kind of hash is needed.  Why fall back on the OS
|to get you out of trouble, when you can avoid getting in trouble in
|the first place?  I haven't read the papers yet though.

Well... for Python, I'd rather have a hash with excellent typical case
performance than a typically slower one with more collision resistance.
If my normal, non-DoS programs run a bit faster, that's something I
experience every day... if those (very) few of them that have
conceivable DoS exposure do badly under attack... well, that's bad, but
probably best addressed otherwise.

Yours, Lulu...

--
Keeping medicines from the bloodstreams of the sick; food from the bellies
of the hungry; books from the hands of the uneducated; technology from the