Twisted Panglossia

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Thu Jun 5 16:13:32 EDT 2003

|A search for "Pollyannaishness" on Google returns 3 results. Merriam Webster
|offers no definition. Care to elucidate this obfuscation? =)

  Pollyanna
  1. A person regarded as being foolishly or blindly optimistic.[ After
     the heroine of the novel Pollyanna , by Eleanor Hodgman Porter
     (1868-1920), American writer]
  --------------------
  The American Heritage (r) Concise Dictionary of the English Language,
  Third Edition.

I tend towards polysyllabic--sometimes even polyglottal--neologistic
agglutinations.  I don't think Sophocles warned me about that though.

|I vaguely remember Larry Wall mentioning something about hubris being
|a virtue...  <ducking>

Yeah...  I repeat Wall's tripartite virtues in the preface to my book
(btw.  I got a sample copy, and Amazon shows it as finally saleable).
But there's a fine line between virtues and vices.

Yours, David...

--
 mertz@  _/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY: \_\_\_\_    n o
gnosis  _/_/             Postmodern Enterprises            \_\_