does lack of type declarations make Python unsafe?

Steven Taschuk staschuk at
Wed Jun 18 18:52:54 CEST 2003

Quoth John J. Lee:
> Steven Taschuk <staschuk at> writes:
> > But I find it greatly eases
> > debugging and one-off data munging tasks.
> That's what I was referring to, and I assume David too.  If any
> function or class is more than say 5 lines, I use emacs.  [...]

Hm... then I think I'm missing something.

When debugging, all the substantial code is written elsewhere; I
just import it and fiddle.  When data munging, I load the data
into memory and fiddle.  Each fiddle is almost invariably a single
line of code, so errors are not big setbacks.

> [...] It's still
> convenient, but can be replaced quite easily with a good IDE, I think.

I'm not sure how an IDE would help with interactive data-munging,
unless it provides an environment very similar to the one which
the interactive prompt provides.

Steven Taschuk                                                 o- @
staschuk at                                      7O   )
                                                               "  (