shebang strange thing...

Erik Max Francis max-resume at alcyone.com
Mon Jun 23 20:53:53 EDT 2003

Dan Bishop wrote:

> But how many people use \r at the end of filenames?  Or are even aware
> that they can?
>
> Even if it isn't a bug, it's a feature that causes more harm than
> good.

It's simply an end-of-line issue.  The "bug" here is that DOS chose to
use CR LF as the end-of-line terminator.  (Mac gets even fewer points,
since it chose to do deliberately do smoething even more different.)
This has nothing to do with Unix, it's an inherent difference between
platforms.  The platforms are not the same; if you pretend like they are
then you'll continually run into problems.

/  \ I go out with actresses because I'm not apt to marry one.
\__/  Henry Kissinger