Setting allowed size of text object on canvas in Tkinter

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at pragmadev.com
Tue Jun 10 04:31:24 EDT 2003

Mickel Grönroos wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> How do I force a text object to be of a required size on a canvas in
> Tkinter?
>
> I have a Tkinter.Canvas widget onto which I have drawn a rectangle with
> create_rectangle(). Inside this rectangle I want to put a text object, but
> also make sure that the text does not overflow the rectangle's borders
> (rather, the overflow should be cut off from view). Currently I'm trying
> to do this with create_text, but that only accepts coordinates for a point
> and not for the bounding box. Any ideas?

Is this what you want?

---------------------------------
from Tkinter import *

root = Tk()
c = Canvas(root)
c.pack()
c.create_text(100, 100, text='spam spam spam spam spam', width=75)
root.mainloop()

For all options for the text item in a cnavas, see:
http://dev.scriptics.com/man/tcl8.4/TkCmd/canvas.htm#M152

HTH
--
- Eric Brunel <eric.brunel at pragmadev.com> -