Possible install bug in Python 2.3b1? (Python 2.2 still in the registry)

Matt Shomphe MatthewS at HeyAnita.com
Mon Jun 16 22:03:43 EDT 2003

Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1055791473.8374.python-list at python.org>...

Sorry I was incomplete in my description.  Here are some additional
details.

> Why is this surprising?  For example, installing 2.3b1 does not uninstall
> 2.2.  Did you uninstall 2.2?

Yes, I uninstalled Python version 2.2.2 (the only instance on my
machine).  I found this behavior surprising because going from 2.2 to
2.2.2 caused no such behavior -- probably since it's located in the
same directory (Python22\).  I guess I shouldn't have found this
surprising given that 2.3b1 installs into the folder Python23\.

[snip]
> Whether one or more of those should have gotten overwritten depends on
> things you haven't told us, such as whether you clicked on the Advanced
> options button when installing, and, if so, whether you did an Admin or
> Non-Admin install, and whether you chose to associate file extensions or
> not.

(1) I did not click on the Advanced Options button when installing,
(2) I was logged in with admin priviliges on my machine, and
(3) I did not choose to associate file extensions.

> > This does not seem to affect the behavior of the latest install.  (I
> > noticed the error only when I tried to install eGenix.com's mx
> > extensions.  It requires Python 2.2 and I noticed a garbage entry
> > when it was about to install.)
>
> Sorry, don't know what that means.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  When trying to install the mx
extensions from the windows executable
(http://www.egenix.com/files/python/eGenix-mx-Extensions.html#Download-mxBASE,
and scroll to the "Windows" section), a distutils GUI popped up.  The
installer was (I assume)looking for Python v2.2 in the registry and
found some errant entries. When the installer window popped up
indicating where the path to python was and where the files would be
installed, there was, instead of "C:\Python22\....", some non-ASCII
characters in its place.  This was not the problem, just an indication
that there may be a problem.  (mx doesn't have a version for 2.3 yet,
and I can wait).

The larger problem seems to be that the Python23\ path is not in my
Windows %PATH%.  As I indicated previously, there is no problem
*running* Python.  This just seems to indicate that the uninstall of
the old version & install of the new version may not be clean.

I hope this clears things up.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

m@