xmlrpc server on red hat 9 question

Jason Kratz eat at joes.com
Sun Jun 29 00:27:53 EDT 2003

After figuring out the other day (thanks to everyone here who helped)
how to get the dir lists I want on my unix machine I want to turn the
same thing into an XML-RPC service.  Using Simple XMLRPCServer.py I
created my own version by adding my getdirs function and then I call the
code to open the server:

import os
import os.path
import SimpleXMLRPCServer
import xmlrpclib
import SocketServer
import BaseHTTPServer
import sys

class SimpleXMLRPCRequestHandler(BaseHTTPServer.BaseHTTPRequestHandler):
     def do_POST(self):
         """Handles the HTTP POST request.

         Attempts to interpret all HTTP POST requests as XML-RPC calls,
         which are forwarded to the _dispatch method for handling.
         """

         try:
             # get arguments
             data = self.rfile.read(int(self.headers["content-length"]))
             params, method = xmlrpclib.loads(data)

             # generate response
             try:
                 response = self._dispatch(method, params)
                 # wrap response in a singleton tuple
                 response = (response,)
             except:
                 # report exception back to server
                 response = xmlrpclib.dumps(
                     xmlrpclib.Fault(1, "%s:%s" % (sys.exc_type,
sys.exc_value))
                     )
             else:
                 response = xmlrpclib.dumps(response, methodresponse=1)
         except:
             # internal error, report as HTTP server error
             self.send_response(500)
             self.end_headers()
         else:
             # got a valid XML RPC response
             self.send_response(200)
             self.send_header("Content-type", "text/xml")
             self.send_header("Content-length", str(len(response)))
             self.end_headers()
             self.wfile.write(response)

             # shut down the connection
             self.wfile.flush()
             self.connection.shutdown(1)

     def _dispatch(self, method, params):
         func = None
         try:
             # check to see if a matching function has been registered
             func = self.server.funcs[method]
         except KeyError:
             if self.server.instance is not None:
                 # check for a _dispatch method
                 if hasattr(self.server.instance, '_dispatch'):
                     return self.server.instance._dispatch(method, params)
                 else:
                     # call instance method directly
                     try:
                         func = _resolve_dotted_attribute(
                             self.server.instance,
                             method
                             )
                     except AttributeError:
                         pass

         if func is not None:
             return apply(func, params)
         else:
             raise Exception('method "%s" is not supported' % method)

     def log_request(self, code='-', size='-'):
         """Selectively log an accepted request."""

         if self.server.logRequests:
             BaseHTTPServer.BaseHTTPRequestHandler.log_request(self,
code, size)

def _resolve_dotted_attribute(obj, attr):
     """Resolves a dotted attribute name to an object.  Raises
     an AttributeError if any attribute in the chain starts with a '_'.
     """
     for i in attr.split('.'):
         if i.startswith('_'):
             raise AttributeError(
                 'attempt to access private attribute "%s"' % i
                 )
         else:
             obj = getattr(obj,i)
     return obj

class SimpleXMLRPCServer(SocketServer.TCPServer):

     def __init__(self, addr, requestHandler=SimpleXMLRPCRequestHandler,
                  logRequests=1):
         self.funcs = {}
         self.logRequests = logRequests
         self.instance = None
         SocketServer.TCPServer.__init__(self, addr, requestHandler)

     def register_instance(self, instance):

         self.instance = instance

     def register_function(self, function, name = None):

         if name is None:
             name = function.__name__
         self.funcs[name] = function

def getdirs(path):
     dirs=[]

     for entry in os.listdir(path):
         entry=os.path.join(path,entry)
         if os.path.isdir(entry):
             dirs.append(entry)
     return dirs

server = SimpleXMLRPCServer(("localhost", 8080))
server.register_function(getdirs)
server.serve_forever()

Now...this seems to run just fine on my red hat 9 machine.  Problem is I
cant connect to it from another machine using the following code:

import xmlrpclib

client = xmlrpclib.Server("http://luna:8080")
print client.getdirs('/');

I get a connection refused error.  Interestingly enough this works just
dandy if run on the same box as the server piece.   Anyone have any
ideas what i need to do to get this to work?  I run the java servlet
runner Resin on the box and that always seems to work just fine on the
same port.

thanks,

Jason