64 bit python

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jun 6 02:24:32 EDT 2003

"E. McKay Hyde" <hyde at math.umn.edu> writes:

> So, struct.so builds without errors and then I get a seg fault.  The
> compiled executable 'python' runs without any obvious problems.  I'm
> going to dig into the Makefile to see if I can find exactly where it
> is crashing.

The most likely place is the attempt to import the newly-built module.
So running the python, and performing an explicit 'import struct'
should give the same crash. It would be good if you could find out why
it crashes (probably using a debugger). If you want to work around
this problem, you can try linking the struct module statically through
Modules/Setup.

In any case, it would be great if you could submit your experience to
sourceforge.net/projects/python, either as a patch to configure.in, or
as a patch to README.

Regards,
Martin