Newbie Question re Python 2.2.2 WIN

a a at b.c
Sun Jun 8 11:33:31 EDT 2003

Ben Minton <pythonidae_olivaceous at hotmail.com> wrote in
news:Xns9394A2EFE7E51pythonidaeunderscore at 203.220.9.230:

> Hi All
>
> Just downloaded python 2.2.2 zip for WIN & html zip for docs.
> Installed great, just now I have the gui open on the desktop, what
> next?
> I am reading through the tutorial but can't seem to find 'howto write
> and save a simple file' which makes it kind of hard. Is there are a
> specific reference for the absolute beginner to make/save.edit files?

Python source is just plain text, you could use Notepad if you really
wanted. The two ways of writing Python are;

- the Python shell (which gives you the prompt '>>>') and lets you type
and run commands instantly - suited to quick testing of ideas, but not
for writing and saving programs.

- Any text editor (preferably a Python-aware one with syntax
highlighting, such as IDLE).

I think IDLE defaults to showing you the shell, so go to File -> New
Window to get to a text-editor instead. There you can write, save (file->
save) and run (press F5) programs.

Not a personal site, but another very nice Python tutorial is at;
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/

- sfb.