Simple Script to Combine/Seperate Lines of Text

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Jun 8 23:12:16 EDT 2003

Ben Minton wrote:

> Was wondering how to write a simple script that performs the following
> task:

> airncjrlfojqmxirnxplvmndrhqndj ... e (length n) combined with
> qpmgktincirzpwncjftewnchdtecru ... f (length n) equals
> motnciqaxhfyeklpgmchqicngiehfc ... a (length n)
>
> and then
>
> motnciqaxhfyeklpgmchqicngiehfc ... a (length n) subtract
> qpmgktincirzpwncjftewnchdtecru ... f (length n) equals
> airncjrlfojqmxirnxplvmndrhqndj ... e (length n)

No doubt someone with more brains than I have will be able
to figure out what you want, but I have to say that the
problem is grossly under-specified.  Can you say precisely
what you mean by "combine" and "subtract"?  Are you adding
the ASCII values of each individual character, or something
else?  Maybe try a very small example using data that is
real... the above looks made up and probably hides what you
are really trying to say.

-Peter