Help getting BLT extension working with python/tkinter on linux

Bob bobt at
Tue Jun 17 08:05:38 CEST 2003

As a followup to my own post:

In article <20030616.143151.1261034869.8390 at>, I wrote:

> I'm confused about how to get the BLT package configured and working on
> linux. Here's my situation:
> I have ActivePython installed, version 2.2. This includes tkinter and
> some other extensions, but since it doesn't have a complete tcl/tk
> installation I couldn't build other extensions against it. So I
> downloaded ActiveTCL, version I believe (it has the same
> versions of tcl/tk as the ActivePython).
> . . .
> . . .
> but I can't get this extension to load manually:
>   TclError: couldn't load file "/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/":
>   /usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib/ undefined symbol: TclpAlloc
> This tells me that the BLT extension was found ok, but the actual
> dynamic loading of the library failed because it couldn't find the
> symbol  symbol?.
> That's a basic allocation routine in the tcl library, This
> symbol is found in python2.2/lib-dynload/, so why can't the
> blt library find it?

I downloaded python src distro from and built it. I modified
Modules/Setup to include both tkinter and BLT, and specified the
existing versions I had in the ActiveTcl installation. It all works fine.
This build of python must have tkinter built in, as there is no
to be found in the hierarchy.

So anyway, I'm all set, but I would still like to understand why the other
installation wasn't working. Why couldn't the loading of BLT find
the TclpAlloc symbol?