Rudeness with names (was Re: interpreted)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Jun 10 01:01:36 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1055194463.17365.python-list at python.org>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=  <gh at ghaering.de> wrote:
>Ifman1 wrote:
>>
>> what do you mean "anonymous coward"???
>
>Somebody not using their real name on usenet and using a pseudonym like
>"Ifman1" instead. I call these people "anonymous cowards" :-)^
>
>In some cases it's their intention to use these pseudonyms, in some
>cases they just haven't set up their mail client properly. In any case,
>I give them a nudge this way.

Well, I wasn't paying much attention earlier, but I have to say that I
consider this rather rude.  How the heck do you know what someone's
"real name" is?  I say this as someone who received more than my fair
share of such rudeness.

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra