Importing mdl files into OpenGl with Python

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at
Fri Jun 6 03:59:29 CEST 2003

I would imagine you'll find converters around the net which can take an
mdl file and export in other, more recent & common formats.  Raw OpenGL
code is occasionally a format produced, and that might very well just
load directly under PyOpenGL.  A fairly decent subset of VRML97 can be
loaded by OpenGLContext (built on PyOpenGL).  The OSG system also has a
considerable set of importers, so you might see if they can help.

If you really do need to load the .mdl files directly from Python,
you'll likely need to roll/wrap your own, as I haven't heard of such a
module as of yet.

Good luck,

Mikey At Work wrote:

>Does anyone know any simple ways to import mdl files into OpenGL using
>Python?  Any modules out there that will do this for me?  Thanks.

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder