Sockets and threads

Byron Morgan lazypointer at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 03:39:14 EDT 2003

Running 2.2 on W2K - I keep running into this issue; perhaps a kind guru
will help.

If I monitor a socket connection or even jsust listen to a socket in a
thread, Python's cpu usage expands to use all available processor time.
Multithreading makes a great deal of sense, when I need to listen to a port
or monitor a connection while processing other stuff in the foreground, but
a program that uses 3% cpu will immediately demand all available cpu as soon
as the listening or monitoring is moved into threads. The program will run
just fine, but the machine will become sluggish when attempting to start
other apps.

Byron Morgan