Totally Confused: Passing variables to functions

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Thu Jun 12 13:14:39 EDT 2003

Quoth Asun Friere:
  [...]
> read news on Google Groups and (I confess without having looked into
> it) it appears that the '>>>' fools the renderer into thinking this a
> quoted comment which seems to strip our the following newline.  Eg.
> None
> It is displayed as:
> which can be a little bit annoying to read.  Nothing more than that.

Ah.  I hadn't noticed that Google does any text changes at all
(modulo the quoting of HTML-special characters).  It looks to me
like they just throw the whole verbatim text in a <pre> block.
(Exactly the Right Thing, naturally.  Also quite unlike and much
better than Deja was.)

*I'd* thought, also without having looked into it, that this kind
of mangling occurred when quoted text passed through specific (or
specific configurations of) news- or mailreaders.  It does, as you
allude, make sense if one's software misinterprets
    >>> fjkdlj
    fjkdls
sa a quoted line which got split by an overzealous line-wrapping
algorithm, and tries to fix it.

Hm... we'll have to keep an eye out for it and investigate further.

Steven Taschuk                            staschuk at telusplanet.net
"Our analysis begins with two outrageous benchmarks."
  -- "Implementation strategies for continuations", Clinger et al.