os.system question

Jay O'Connor joconnor at nets.com
Tue Jun 3 17:34:06 CEST 2003

In article <mailman.1054634944.13754.python-list at python.org>, "Ruslan
Spivak" <alienoid at is.lg.ua> wrote:

> Hello, python users!
> I need to get result from 'ping' command(in manpage they are 0, 1, 2),
> but when i execute the following lines i i get strange results:
> import os
> res = os.system("ping -w 3") print res
> This gives 256 or another numbers, what am i doing wrong?

Try using 'commands' instead

	import commands

	status, output = commands.getstatusoutput ("ping...")

status will hold the exit status of the ping command.

I use it with '-c 1' to just ping once and return and status will hold a
0 if suceess.  output holds a string of pings output that I guess you
could parse.

For more info: http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-commands.html

Jay O'Connor

"God Himself plays the bass strings first,
when He tunes the soul"